JOB DESCRIPTION: Development Director
Vita Nova Maternity Community (Vita Nova) is seeking to hire a dedicated Development Director (DD) to help set the direction and ensure the longevity of Vita Nova. The DD will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will work with senior management team, governing board, and staff to define the organization’s vision and direction. The DD is responsible for the comprehensive planning, implementation, management and oversight of all fundraising, communications, marketing and community relations activities.
The DD will oversee the development staff and lead a collaborative effort charged with the management of day-to-day fundraising and communications to provide a dynamic integrated program. The successful applicant should have proven experience in fundraising and organizational development with years of management experience in a nonprofit organization or a similar environment, can solve complex problems and have a passion for philanthropy.
The mission of Vita Nova Maternity Community is to welcome and guide women, who are pregnant, in crisis. We have created a pathway to parenting, housing, health, healing, and independence. Our maternity community, along with our community partners, are dedicated to each family we serve to end homelessness and break the cycle of generational poverty.
Reporting to the CEO and in collaboration with the Board of Directors, the Development Director is responsible for leading all fundraising and development activities for Vita Nova Maternity Community; building external relationships; and managing the Development Team and Development Operations. The DD will build visibility, create impact and secure financial resources through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
Fundraising and Relationship Management:
- Establish and manage the overall fundraising strategy to raise $3 million per year to fund the diverse needs of Vita Nova through major and leadership gifts, annual fund planned giving, corporate and foundation support, capital projects, endowment, scholarships, annual fund, and Board giving
- Report on fundraising financial progress, including monthly budget to actual analysis, and work with the Finance and Program Teams to track progress to goal
- Manage a portfolio of 50-75 donors and supervise frontline fundraiser portfolio management
- Cultivate new donors and partnerships while expanding and deepening existing relationships
- Represent the organization as an ambassador and build authentic, lasting relationships with donors, partners, vendors, and contractors
- Lead the development team using a data-driven portfolio management system and adjust tactics necessary to meet revenue goals
- Implement processes and systems for accurate tracking of fundraising efforts in Blackbaud Raiser’s
- Serve as liaison for Board of Director committees to identify and lead major gift efforts with key stakeholders
- Orchestrate special events including galas, openings, corporate and private gatherings, milestone celebrations
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of philanthropic trends; create templates and presentations to educate and demonstrate best practices for colleagues, lay leaders, and Vita Nova leadership
Development Team Management and Oversight:
- Retain, recruit, manage and cultivate a team of development professionals with an appropriate balance of skills and experiences; establish work plans, performance objectives, and goals
- Coach, support, and encourage the Board of Directors in their efforts to build and strengthen their identification, cultivation, and solicitation of current and prospective donors
- Manages the portfolio moves management process and ensure proper integration with all frontline fundraisers
- Knowledge of budget development, administration, and staff management
- Directs the writing of funding proposals, grants, direct mail letters, annual report, special event materials, and other fundraising support documentation
- Runs the stewardship, gift accounting, and reporting functions, ensuring that all donors receive personal and timely acknowledgement of their gifts
- Oversees the management of the donor database
Directs the incorporation of policies and procedures, mission, and vision and all development/ communications plans
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional fundraising experience and budget management with a high-performing organization that includes capital, major gifts, annual fund, special events
- Demonstrated success in meeting or exceeding fundraising goals in a previous position with a minimum organization budget of $3 million and success in securing major gifts raising $1 million-plus annually
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven leadership skills including listening, negotiation, problem-solving, decision making and delegation
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Experience in grant research, writing, and reporting
- Experience in various giving campaigns, including events, direct mail, social media, planned giving, and capital campaigns
Requirements and Core Beliefs:
- Possesses an unshakable personal belief that women in low-income communities can achieve high levels and demonstrate exceptional personal character
- Communicates powerfully with stakeholders, donors and prospective donors aligning the case for support with opportunities for engagement
Builds strong and sincere relationships with the community, rooted in respect and integrity
- Manages people and believes that the essential purpose of their work is supporting and developing leaders; inspires and effectively manages staff to achieve extraordinary results using a culture of transparency, communication, accountability
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4)-year college or university is required with a preferred emphasis in fundraising, marketing, public relations, or business.
- Master’s degree
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE).
- Knowledge of Omaha philanthropic community
Vita Nova Maternity Community offers a benefits package and overall compensation will be commensurate with talent, experience, and education.
$85,000 – $98,000
Vita Nova Maternity Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please email your résumé and cover letter to the email address below. Please indicate the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
Vita Nova Maternity Community